Friday, May 4, 2018

To the En's o' the Earth

Whew! Went to the ends of the earth and back with this painting. Not an easy ride, I'll tell ya that much.

But, lookie—kinda fun, don'tcha think, even though early in the process I wrecked lost a bit that I loved?

I had few bearings for most of the ride. Didn't know where I was in the process and had little idea how many miles I might still have to go, but then Jen Walls's mention of the concept/practice of enso surfaced (thank you, Jen). Bingo!

In Zenensō (円相, "circle") is a circle that is hand-drawn in one or two uninhibited brushstrokes to express a moment when the mind is free to let the body create. 

Had to dig deep to find my inner brave spot to commit to what I had in mind, but a few practice runs with a dry brush freed my mind, and I let my body go in with paint.


newest patch, a 3-patch
detail
detail
new 3-patch in the bigger picture,
working title: Core Values


8 comments:

carol edan said...

WOW! That is awesome! What courage and what a dramatic patch! FREE!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Carol. I just love this trip-patch! I'm so glad I document my process as often as I do because doing so helps keep me mindful of the beauty and wow that can evolve from messy middles, confusion, disappointment, … and continuing to show up in the studio every day : )

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Wooooooooooooheeeeeeee! So great! You are an enso master! I really like the way it talks to the other dark lines across the canvas. The three-section patch is fabulous, unexpected and DRAMATIC!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I was so excited to you to see this one, Jen! Enso was my answer! Fun to get your feedback re the way the enso speaks to other dark lines across the canvas, and the unexpected dramatic effect of the three-section patch. So much to carry forward in my heart/artdatabank now.

Janet Bradish said...

Wow - that triple patch is awesome - it is such a strong shape and then with that beautiful dramatic black enso (thanks for sharing that info!!) - it dominates but as Jen commented it's also 'talking' to the other darks. Love the background colour that shows through in spots. Congratulations Dotty, even though you were stuck and things weren't working out as planned you made a dramatic change and does it ever work - must have felt so good after you lifted the brush - hope it was a big 'aha' feeling!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Definitely, a huge delighted feeling of aha when I lifted my brush, Janet! Thanks for your insights re the enso's dominating while simultaneously being in conversation with other darks (a happy happenstance!) and for your notice of the background color that shows through in spots (a favorite part of mine, one that was only the slightest hint before I used oil pastels to enhance). One of my intents with "Core Values" is to experiment and push myself, and I'm reaping big harvests from that sowing.

Sheila said...

Just WOW! LOVE this ;) Love how it compliments the piece in the middle. Love the bright cheerful colors. LOve that I keep going back for another dose of Dotty Delight :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, thanks for your enthusiasm—it echoes my own! After a journey/struggle getting this patch to come alive, suddenly there it was in all its unexpected surprising glory! Happy you are wowed : )

Post a Comment